Author Topic: American March Brown  (Read 2280 times)

Offline wiwfmr

• Global Moderator
American March Brown
« on: December 29, 12:22PM »
American March Brown Duns (top) are a large robust mayfly that is found hatching in faster moving sections of rivers from about the first of May until mid June. This hatch tends to be sparse and due to the colouration of the dun in many cases the first indication that the hatch is occurring are the large spinners (bottom) that hover over your head on cool May evenings. March Brown spinners can be identified by their large size and due to the fact that in flight they hold their two tails in an almost perfect 90 degree angle. As duns usually hatch over rough moving water a traditional dry fly pattern which sits high in the water is usually best. Though it is always a good idea to have a few klink style patterns for those quiet pools below fast runs.

American March Browns nymphs are clingers. They have bodies that are flattened to allow them to cling to the cobble in fast moving water. These are the largest clinger nymphs that I have come across in Nova Scotia. They do not swim well at all and so when they do become dislodged, they tend to drift unmoving. These nymphs become more active as the hatch approaches and become more available as forage for trout. Clinger nymphs prefer cool well oxygenated water so they tend to b found in faster moving sections of streams and rivers. I have witnessed hatches from the first week of May until the third week of June and the hatch tends to progress from larger warmer rivers into smaller cooler streams.

Mike

Re: American March Brown
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 01:48PM »
Good stuff Tim.....so the March Brown is a Mayfly right  ???

Offline wiwfmr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 01:59PM »
Yep, anything with an upright wing is a Mayfly

Mike

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 02:01PM »
 ;)

Offline Grouse

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 02:26PM »
  Very interesting Tim - keep up with the species info as well as the patterns - I may have some newfound knowledge on the streams this year!

J.
The charm of fly fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline Dan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 06:12PM »
Always love reading your posts Tim! You get to see awesome ties and get some great info as well.

Offline prosser

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 06:54PM »
you think thats good dan you should see him run threw a river like a mad man reaching for a fly that he's not sure what it is trying to get it to get a picture of it lol one would think he was a littlee loose if ya didnt know him lol.....

definatly a man to learn alot of interesting things about bugs an whats on the water that the fish are eating.

great post bud..

Offline rpen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 08:59PM »
Great stuff there Tim! I always learn a few things when you post
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.  ~Author Unknown

Offline wiwfmr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 11:04PM »
Thanks guys.

If I remember right Ty you did question my sanity that evening.  I can't help it if I can't get a green stone to sit still for a picture  :P

Offline backcountrycapers

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 11:16PM »
Sad part is I can sooooooooooo see you running after it too.  Not a doubt in my mind   too funny LOL   
'Every single turn of the thread better have a damn good reason for being there'.
John Gierach

Offline prosser

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 08:34AM »
Yea I did give the old head a scratch hahaha

Offline Garhan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 04:14PM »
Oh I wish we had those critters out here. We do have the Western March Brown. They are some what smaller and hatch mid May. But with the new regulations I will not be able to fish that hatch again. The water doesnt open now on a particular river until June 15th. We do use a pattern here called a H&L Variant for the adults and as a nymph the GRHE works well.

Offline pierce14

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 04:31PM »
Great info Tim, and nice flies.