Author Topic: Early Spring Stones  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Garhan

• Global Moderator
Re: Early Spring Stones
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 04:06PM »
Folks that starts the season here with early fishing in some of the spring creeks that have open water (and are in open season), a few hatches will start to trickle off over the early weeks of February and March provided we get some warm days more than a few degrees above zero.Also by this time the trout have had a long winter diet of Chironomids and callibaetis.  Winter stoneflies (Capniidae) will be the first to show up and will begin to emerge on streams that has pockets of open water. Seldom will you see fish rising although since these bugs emerge by crawling out and they do not stimulate surface feeding activity until enough adults return to the water to lay eggs. During this time a small black nymph often held in a wintering hold will produce a fish. Getting it deep into the hole and holding it stationary in the current until you slowly and systematically sweep it into another section of the hole, will produce fish. You will need to almost bump the trout on the nose so work the fly through the hole slowly and deliberately search each nook and cranny.
The fish will still be very docile at this time of year and will not move far to take a fly, so if you are drifting nymphs, you will need a slow presentation that positions the fly within inches of their nose. This is why holding and keeping it in a hole deep in the current will produce. The low clear water will also require stealth in your approach and as delicate a presentation you can offer. But when everything comes together, the reward of hooking a fish in winter is well worth the effort.
A Black Copper John will usually do the trick as will a Bead Head Black Gold Ribbed Hares Ear. For adult pattern small Black Elk Hair Caddis or small Black Stimulators with and eggs sack that have the ability to be skated work extremely well. Including a Black Hares Foot Caddis Pattern in a size 14 or 16. I will post some photos of these patterns in the next few days.

I tease some of my fishing buddies that they didn't catch a fish because they didn't cut a forked stick and placed there rod tip in the stick like a good bait fisherman. But that is almost what it takes….did I mention fish slow and deliberate...

Offline Garhan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 09:35PM »
Garhan, you must be wiwfmr's western twin ;)

Great work and little bit of info.

Maybe  ;)

Offline Speckles

• "Be the change you want to see in the world"
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 11:05PM »
With the new highland trout management area open this winter til March 31 and there being a lot of streams and moving water available to fish, now is a good time to see these patterns.
"Try? There is no try , only do."
-yoda-