Author Topic: Green Butt Fox  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Chris

• Chris Sinclair
Green Butt Fox
« on: January 23, 09:44AM »

First picture step by step, hope you enjoy.

Green Butt Fox

Hook: Upeye Salmon #2-12
Threads: White and Black UTC 70 (sub UNI 8/0 or Veevus 10/0)
Tag: Small Silver Wire
Butt: Green UNI Yarn
Rib: Oval Silver Tinsel
Body: Black Yarn
Throat: Black Hen Fibres
Wing: Black Arctic Fox

Thanks Guys Hope you Enjoy!

Insert the hook into your vice and attach your White UTC 70 at the eye of the hook and create a thread base until the hook point.

Tie in your small silver wire leaving excess up the shank (until the hook return) to ensure it is secured in place and to create a smooth body.

Tie in your Green Yarn the length of the butt you want and tie it up where you left your wire off (hook return). Wrap 5 or 6 side by each wraps to ensure you have a smooth butt and tie off the length until the hook return.

Tie in Oval Silver Tinsel at the hook return and carry it down to your butt.

Attach the Black Yarn halfway up the hook return and the eye and carry it down to your butt. Now you can switch to your black thread.

Wrap your Black Yarn side by each up the shank and stop where you tied it in. Wrap 5 evenly spaced wraps up the body with your tinsel and tie off in the same spot as the yarn.

If Your vice can rotate this is where it becomes handy. Tie in a clump of Black Hen fibres for the throat and cut them off close.

Now tie in your pre trimmed Black Arctic fox for the wing, (should extend past the tag and even with the bend of the hook) this material will condense when you tighten your thread, form your head with tight thread wraps, whip finish 2 or 3 times.

Finally add your favourite Head cement (I prefer a thicker cement for my salmon flies (Angler's Corner)) Let Dry, tie on and let er rip!

Chris

Offline mikesalmon

Re: Green Butt Fox
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 02:31PM »
Great job on that Chris

Offline Andrew

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 02:51PM »
great explaination Chris...the wire you tied in first was for a tag correct and is in front of the green butt...you like Fox over black Squirrel  or Bear...any difference in the look in the water

Offline Chris

• Chris Sinclair
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 06:32PM »
great explaination Chris...the wire you tied in first was for a tag correct and is in front of the green butt...you like Fox over black Squirrel  or Bear...any difference in the look in the water

Wire Tag, Butt, Body, Rib, Throat, Wing, I like fox because it makes a nice tear drop shape when wet, and If I was to tie this with anything but, It would be Bear (Cub) hair, and maybe black sq. but i like the fluffiness of the fox.

:)