Author Topic: Moose mane galore  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Speckles

• "Be the change you want to see in the world"
Moose mane galore
« on: October 07, 10:03PM »
I expect I'll be looking for a lot of uses for moose mane . I got it coming at me from both ends of Newfie , some of it already cured , a couple I'm in the process of doing now. First time I ever had my hands on the stuff and next trip in I won't know where else to put it . Can see now why it so nice for dry fly bodies with all the light and dark variations and very coarse and strong too. As well looks like the base of it will spin on a hook nice too . Gonna need a lot of hooks to get through it all.
"Try? There is no try , only do."
-yoda-

Offline Dane

Re: Moose mane galore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 08:35AM »
if you can get hair from behind the legs close to the hooves  it is the best for wings on wet flies. short and stiff its good to work with

Offline Speckles

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 09:10AM »
Thanks Dane I will mention that to the guys aquiring the manes for me , should be able to get a bit of it too..
-yoda-

Offline Speckles

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 10:02AM »
Not sure what my chances were starting out but I found both coarse salt and Borax at the Sobeys five minutes walk from the ship. Got two uncured day old manes yesterday but was too late for me to hit Sobeys with the time change here compared to ship time. I started them off right away with plain table salt til I could find what I needed this morning. Got them curing on the bottoms of upside down milk crates with paper towel just around Engels to catch overspill. Can still see just a spall edge of the hair so the mixture is well mounded. So where it has lots of ventilation how long should I expect to treat them??? Will run it out at least a couple weeks if I don't find out any different, then a freezing cycle.
« Last Edit: October 08, 10:03AM by Speckles »
-yoda-

Offline Speckles

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 10:45PM »
Well the mane project worked well. Unsure how many I will get this trip but there should be some bear also . Got enough Borax and coarse salt for lots if need be. Curious if anyone would be interested in a trade for some good spinning deer hair if I get overwhelmed with the moose.
-yoda-