Author Topic: Winter Project  (Read 6093 times)

Mike

Winter Project
« on: January 02, 06:52AM »
my winter project is to put togeather a new trout fly box for the early spring in case I get out a couple of times..I did away with my old boxes as the flies in them were getting pretty ratty, rusty and well worn ....have about another 1/2 dozen favorite trout patterns to add and the box will be complete

Muddler Minnows size 6 & 8 ... RLM size 6 & 8 ... Bow River Bugger (olive) size 6

Montreal size 8... no name pattern wet size 8... Mickey Finn size 6 .... Wolly Bugger (black) size 6

No name pattern wet I have had luck with for alot of years

RLM... my most productive trout fly in the last dozen years

Olive Bow River Bugger ....another fave for earlly spring trolling..works exceptionally well in lakes with a dragon fly nymph population

Box is starting to take shape

Offline Dan

• Global Moderator
Re: Winter Project
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 07:14AM »
Outstanding ties Mike! The trout will be lining up to chomp on those treats! Can't wait to see the finished box my friend!

Mike

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 07:37AM »
Thanks Dan

Ok here is another little gem of a fly ..... ....Has anyone ever stumbled upon "The Mayfly Hatch" ? ...Tossed every dryfly you has at them and hooked nothing or not many other than a couple of little guys when you can see the trout of your dreams cruising and they won't take anything..or will they?? Try this fly.... troll it, cast and stip it in through a hatch/feeding frenzy ....reel it in ...and you wont be dissapointed ...Its a fly I rarely uses but wouldnt have a trout box without one or two in it ...just in case

We call it the Little Blue Fly but I found the exact pattern in a book of trout flies in the CFB Halifax Library years ago ..and its name is the Blue Bottle ...wish I could remember the name of the book..it was old and had 100's of colour plates of trout flies and the patterns to go with them ....anyway no matter what you call it here it is

Hook: any wet or nymph size 8-14 ..this one is a Size 10
Tail: Black hackle barbs
Body: blue/grey wool .... cigar shaped..personal preferance I like my wets this way but they will work tied with a flat body
Rib: Black thread
throat: Black Hen
Wing: Slate or grey quill

Mike

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 08:21AM »
Jerry Maddidler
first seen this pattern in an issue of Eastern Woods & Waters back in the 80's (dang I miss that magazine  :-[ ) it was listed with a few more patterns another was the Purple Drummer (which I will post when I tie it)... 2 more flies that will always be in any trout box I own...as you can see 99.9% of my trout fishig is done with treamers and feather wing wets

Offline pierce14

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 08:33AM »
Nice flies Mike. Looks like a great trout fly box.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 08:38AM »
Thanks man its starting to come togeather nicely

Offline Robbie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 08:55AM »
Awesome looking bunch of flies Buds!
The tug is the drug

The best things in life aren't things

Offline rpen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 09:26AM »
That's a Killer box you got going there Mike! Great to see you are enjoying your new tying room so much!
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.  ~Author Unknown

Mike

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 09:29AM »
thanks guys ..yah Roland I am enjoying it dont spend alot of time there but its nice to have when I want to

Offline Charles

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 01:48PM »
Very awesome winter project.
A salmon is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it.

Offline mcmutt

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 02:10PM »
Mike, Pat Donaghue's site has a few of the older flies & dressings on there as well.  One friend of mine gets a dozen Purple Drummers every year when he gets home from Fort Mac,LOL

Mike

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 05:15PM »
Purple Drummer

the mate to the Jerry Maddidler and another must have for me.....
not the nicest/neatest one I ever tied but it will do for trolling  ....

Offline mikesalmon

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 05:52PM »
Great looking batch of flies Mike.
I bet your enjoying tying a little more this season since you are doing it for yourself and not commercially.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 05:56PM »
Great looking batch of flies Mike.
I bet your enjoying tying a little more this season since you are doing it for yourself and not commercially.

I tie when and if I want to now Mike ...and usually just 1 fly at a time...LOL

Offline the caddis

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 06:46PM »
wow you been busy, great looking set of flies I've made note of them all.....if an old pro like yourself says they work then I am listening and tying
its not always  about the catching

Offline Dan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 06:59PM »
Beautiful assortment superbly tied flies Mike! Love them all!

Offline Tony

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 07:25PM »
Mike..beautys as always bud..the blue fly..is that dubbing on the body or yarn..?

Mike

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 08:29PM »
Thanks folks. its coming togeather.....Andrea who are you calling "OLD"

Its yarn Tony and its a blue/grey colour the wing is slate grey I have been using the same piece that was given to me along with the pattern 30 years ago...I can send you a piece if you like its 3 strand and I take the strands apart and use them individully ..I know I have your address some where but PM it to me.....someone I fish with gave me heck when I shared that fly pattern a few years back...said it was a secret...in my books there are no secrets (flies or techuiques)cause fishing isnt a competition and most of the folks I know who enjoy it dont care if they even catch fish let alone compete/compare how many and how big with someone else ..those who do I have no time for 

Offline Tony

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 08:33PM »
Thnx Mike..pm sent..

Mike

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 08:37PM »
  I'll send you a fly to so you can copy it