Author Topic: Anyone going to the BrasD'Or  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Speckles

• "Be the change you want to see in the world"
Anyone going to the BrasD'Or
« on: December 10, 02:45AM »
Anyone planning a trip to the BrasD'Or Lake?  My smallest fly box comes there with me . These and others exactly the same are all that I carry with me in salt water. Of course I did not tie them but they needed to be posted I'm thinking. Above could be crayfish. The orange shrimp is my go to fly 98% of the time. If nothing moving I will switch out. Pink grapefruit polar bear. It works well in River Denys. This works well in the basin also. Don't know if this one works or not but it looks like it will.It works.  Spent lots of time playing along the shoreline with my daughters. There are places wher the bottom is crawling with these things. Don't know if these will work either but worth posting anyway.
"Try? There is no try , only do."
-yoda-

Offline Chris

• Chris Sinclair
    • MegaTroutFishing's Videos
Re: Anyone going to the BrasD'Or
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 07:30AM »
I'm going there on sautruday as you know, hopefully we can meet up! Hopefully its not froze over!

C

Offline Speckles

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 08:05AM »
Let me know as your plan develops. Like to scoot up the country to meet up. Still lookin pretty good for conditions. Only another 5 days so would need to cool down pretty good and stay there to mess things up. No worries I'm thinking. See you up the lake.
-yoda-

Offline Speckles

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 10:10AM »
Oh yeah, the wife works in Inverness and commutes daily. She turns off at Vi's and goes past a lot of water to get there. I get a photo of it every day wherever I request . Usually it is more winter like up that way but ice free today.
-yoda-

Offline Speckles

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 05:52PM »
Wycogomagh Bay looking across I think at the North side of McInnis Island. Ice free and forecast of +10 tomorrow.
-yoda-

Offline mcmutt

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 06:04PM »
Speckles, look up Pro Sportfisher, and look at the shrimp bodies.  They'd be the bomb for SHrimp flies for the Bras Dor.  Nice job on the flies, too!

Offline mcmutt

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 06:10PM »
Here they are, 3D shrimp bodies

Offline Speckles

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 06:33PM »
Da bomb?? The whole armoury dude. These flies weren't tied by me bud but I do plan for those to be one of my first ties once I get set up. The orange shrimp is my most productive fly and a small order of the clear shell backs to try them on the water is a definite. Thankyou for posting that man.
-yoda-

Offline mcmutt

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 06:46PM »
S'awwwriiight,LOL

Offline backcountrycapers

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 09:21PM »
There is quite a drop off  at  shore very close to  where this  pic  was  taken speckles.....    :)

just saying...........
'Every single turn of the thread better have a damn good reason for being there'.
John Gierach

Offline Speckles

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 11:45PM »
Yeah all along there right up past the picnic park same thing.Actually the south facing shore in that park used to be wicked for bows. Drops off ten feet from shore but the place would be alive with boilers. Was up there few days ago and the ponds were clear of ice but for a patchy film. I know it don't take much for it to go to crap but 10' tomorrow and hovering just above or below til weekend. Lake shore shouldn't have any sign of ice but that could just be a dream by then also. If I have to I will go the day before to confirm for sure. Want Chris to enjoy his first trip to the lake.
« Last Edit: December 10, 11:51PM by Speckles »
-yoda-

Offline Dane

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 05:26PM »
that part of the lake will probably not freeze all winter.. its the small ponds and stuff where all the best fishing is that will skim over this time of year. The ponds in around malagawatch were frozen last week with shell ice when i drove through. Im sure its gone now but one cold night and she we freeze again

Offline Speckles

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 06:18PM »
That part of the lake does freeze completely every year. There is a pretty heavy mix of fresh water in that area . St. patricks channel which is very close to sea water salinity usually freezes every year and it is over 900' deep off Long Island. The reason i say usually is because last winter was the first since i was born that it did not ice up. The small ponds likely will skim over before Saturday but I think there should still be some trout feeding on good bottom south of McInnis island, twin culverts , Little narrows beach, South Cove or denas pond. Probably be lots of speckles to release if no bows. They are very scarce so far what I'm told. Wish us luck.
-yoda-

Offline Chris

• Chris Sinclair
    • MegaTroutFishing's Videos
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 06:33PM »
got a picture from an undisclosed person ,, some nice bows around...
i need this trip lol, if there is ice I'm gonna flip :P

C

Offline Speckles

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 06:39PM »
We're good dude the speckles are the only ones headed into the ponds anyway.
-yoda-

Offline Speckles

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 11:08PM »
This is Denas today between 4&5 o'clock.and just cause I have the pic here is Skye River at 4pm today. this is an above average place to fish for speckles. Photo taken bout 3/4 of the way to Lake Ainslie. 
-yoda-