Author Topic: Chomping at the vice  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Speckles

• "Be the change you want to see in the world"
Chomping at the vice
« on: November 05, 04:50PM »
Arrrrgh! Me can't be waiting any longer to get started at this. You guys must have some awesome collections of flies. Thinking I would need to cork a wall in my recroom and build a wall of flies that I could pick from for each trip. Like the hard drive of my fly collection. Working art form really. You will all play a part in its creation. Hope I can be as creative as a lot to be found here.
"Try? There is no try , only do."
-yoda-

Offline backcountrycapers

• Administrator
Re: Chomping at the vice
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 08:35PM »
Well the  boys  here are  more than happy and  willing  to  help you  on your  journey....    We  all kind  of grow together
'Every single turn of the thread better have a damn good reason for being there'.
John Gierach

Offline Charles

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 10:37PM »
Don't be afraid to ask, we all start somewhere and enjoy helping out.
A salmon is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it.

Offline Speckles

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 12:32AM »
My first task will be the challenge of getting geared up completely during the winter. I need everything so my plan is to spend up on a vice and a few porcelain bobbins with the solid porcelain tube. The rest I will wait on getting till I can source the gently used market. Then there is all the fur feather and cement. Could get messy. Wish me a speedy upload. Will get a fly on the screen first time I nail it.
-yoda-

Offline mcmutt

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 07:48AM »
In my best Darth Vader voice "Welcome to the Dark Side, Speckles"  LOL  Never be afraid to ask about how to tie something, or feel bad because maybe something isn't going right with your tying.  The boys & girls here are happy to help. The minute someone thinks they know everything there is about flytying, is the moment that a 10 year old kid shows them up. Even the guys tying for 25+ years are always learning, so ask anything you may need for advice on technique, sources for supplies, anything!!

Offline backcountrycapers

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 08:54AM »
Looking forward to it  Speckles.....    The  whole purpose we had when  this  site  became  was  just that.    A  simple respectful place to help others.  Mutt  is bang on  there is a lot of passionate tiers here  that are willing to help out.  And if I can't  answer  you with the  lil I know I usually know someone to ask the answer......

Maybe  we  should work on a  must  haves  list  for  a beginners  kit....      I  have 1  ceramic  and never  use  it.   I use the  cheapo sunrise bobbins  but I  bend them  so  to  fit my  hand  and tying.   
'Every single turn of the thread better have a damn good reason for being there'.
John Gierach

Offline Speckles

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 09:32AM »
That would be awesome bcc. Of course there are the obvious requirements but to get a fly in the air requires a few things I bet I would overlook and be in constant discovery mode with equipment as I try to get started. I am a little nervous about the level of passion I could develop at this. Not sure my skin can contain all that is blooming these days. This iPhone ain't helping my addictive tendencies any either. LOL. Thanks for the info that will no doubt follow Gary. It will be a huge help indeed. Also mcmutt thanks for the encouragement I really appreciate the wise words spoken by skilled individuals.
« Last Edit: December 05, 09:36AM by Speckles »
-yoda-

Offline Andrew

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 12:05PM »
Speckles...what type of flies are you looking to tie?  Trout or Salmon..i have some materials i can set you up with to get started, PM me your address if your interested...as to cement...'borrow' a bottle of Hard as Nails from your wife/gf...works great and comes in a variety of colors

Andrew

Offline Speckles

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 03:06PM »
I am a trout nut and would likely start with them. Travelling to Halifax now and would like to pm you when settled in this evening. Thanks for the offer.
-yoda-

Offline Andrew

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 05:00PM »
am in Halifax also so if you are around the weekend could sync up then

Offline Speckles

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 08:55PM »
Be here til sometime Sunday. Am downtown where to sync if so??
-yoda-

Offline Speckles

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 07:50AM »
Probably will use the nail polish but I was given the tip to keep it in a dispensing bottle. One that has a cork with a hollow needle on top with a cap on it. Good applicator and prevents air making it cloud up as never really gets exposed after in the dispenser. Guess this is no tip to most fellas here but it came from an ancient tyer so thought I would share.
-yoda-

Offline Speckles

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 10:55PM »
Just like to express my appreciation for the material Andrew. Sorry I was a little rushed on the sync up bud. Four girls wanting to get dinner out of the way and go shopping. Assuming I am able to get my mitts on some polar bear fur from one of the Arctic bound vessels this next shipping season you will be first to know.
-yoda-

Offline Andrew

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 09:50AM »
not a problem...glad to get you started...hope the family shopping didn't take all the funds, you will need them as you start to ramp up with tying gear ;)

Offline Speckles

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 10:43AM »
Yeah getting to go fishing when I want comes with a cost. LOL. My order will still get filled before I pack for return to the ship. That's where the addiction will begin.
-yoda-